Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blog 5

1) SELF Magazine
2) consumer magazine
3) $3.99 per issue/$16.00 per one-year 12 issue subscription
4) 80 pages out of 145 total/ 55%
5) Eat, Weigh, Move is one woman's story about her journey through a twenty-pound weight loss and deep self-exploration. Kathy Ebel, a free-lance writer and wife, describes to the audience her experience with leaving behind her emotional eating habits to find love for herself.
6) The readers of SELF Magazine are people who care about their health, their looks, and their overall personal well being. The magazine probably targets women ages 20-45, in relationships or of appropriate dating age, are interested in exercise and healthy eating.
7) The main products advertised in this magazine are beauty products, clothes, exercise equipment and health food lines; many of the products advertised are offering a more affordable alternative to designer lines and/or are tied to some charitable organization. Yes, I think the magazine reaches its intended audience through advertising.
8) 15 men/boys; 135 women/girls
9) Men are typically seen in the background of pictures, often times pictured as an assistant or helper to the women. They are never the focus.
10) No, no, and no. Almost all the women pictured, both editorial and in advertisements, are white or light-skinned, ages 20-30, and upper-middle class.
11) I would suggest that their magazine feature pictures and articles of and for a more diverse audience; I would suggest more marketing toward Latina and black women, and possibly toward a wider age range. I would make the models in the magazine more relateable to average women.
12) Not really. I have already considered cancelling my subscription to SELF Magazine solely because of the ridiculous amount of advertisements. It is overwhelming to see name brands and prices in every other line of print. I am unimpressed with the magazine's placement of advertisements and think that it is insulting to the intelligence of their audience to attempt such blatant thought manipulation on the part of those who stand to profit from the magazine sales. I suppose that if there were anything surprising to me about this study, it would be the lack of diversity in the models of the magazine. I never really noticed how little ethnic diversity there was among this group, or how those models who were supposed to represent a minority group were so light-skinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment